The beginnings of our organization center around a print magazine, Southern California Bicyclist. Starting in 1994, Will Decker released a freely available print periodical to bike shops in Orange and Los Angeles counties. The bi-monthly issue, titled Southern California Bicyclist offered an aggregated event calendar of cycling events in Southern California and editorially focused on the experience and adventure of riding bikes in Southern California. In September of 2014, Chris Reynolds, an enthusiast cyclist took over the publication from Will Decker seeing the opportunity of digital media to expand the availability of the print edition with a freely available digital edition of the magazine. Along the way, the editorial expanded to include events, rides, and races west of the Rocky Mountains in the United States as well as features of international destinations around the world.
Beginning in 2015, the magazine was made available as a free digital publication, released 10 times per year. Also released in 2015 was the online BICYCLIST Event Calendar, the largest online cycling calendar combining recreation and race events west of the Rocky Mountains. With this change in mind, the magazine was titled, BICYCLIST Magazine while shifting editorial focus to include a wider coverage of events and races throughout the western United States, while maintaining the style and voice that our Southern California readers have followed for more than 20 years.
The print magazine is available at better bicycle shops, coffee shops, and breweries throughout the western United States.
A Weekly Cycling Podcast
Alongside the magazine, the BICYCLIST Experience, a weekly cycling podcast provides weekly news through the lens of the cyclist. The show is hosted by managing editor Kelley O’Toole, with co-hosts Chris Reynolds, Victor Prestinary, Tim Wilson and Justin Macias joining the conversation. The discussion includes coverage of regional news, race coverage and extended discussion of the content in the magazine.
The central purpose of the publication is guiding and inspiring bicycle riding for sport, activity, and transportation where ever you are. We’ve been waving the cycling flag in Southern California since 1994 and hope to inspire your ride wherever you find yourself pedaling along.
BICYCLIST.xyz acts as the central repository and archive for BICYCLIST Magazine. In addition, our event calendar contains more than 500 unique events that serve as opportunities to join others in organized bike events, races, and festivals throughout the western United States. To help you with your search, the calendar is broken down by discipline, but you can also find events by location and date.
- Guide active cyclists with information that will enhance their riding experience.
- Encourage aspirational cyclists to become active members of the cycling community.
- Create engaging content that is as informative as it is entertaining.
- Inspire fans to find adventure, build and participate in communities, and explore.
- Advocate for the bicycling lifestyle in the western United States.
- events// Organized recreation, pro/am competition and festivals.
- culture // Off the bike, on the bike, and everything in-between.
- provisions // The goods that go along with the life of the bicyclist.
- adventure // Discover by bike, discover thyself.
- advocacy // Improving the experience of riding a bicycle for everyone.
BICYCLIST: SoCal & Beyond
14252 Culver Dr. Irvine, CA 92604