Volkswagon Premieres New Zero Emission Models – Including Cargo Electric Bike
- The Cargo e-Bike is equipped with innovative axle kinematics which keep the goods being transported level
- The three-wheel pedelec can be ridden without a driver’s license and will launch in 2019
Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles recently presented their electric mobility campaign with five new zero-emissions vehicles at the IAA Commercial Vehicles Show in Germany, including the debut of the 2019 commercial cargo electric bike. The bike was designed for use in downtown areas, production plants, businesses of all types and hotels – the list of potential applications is limitless. A progressive last-mile deliverer with a market launch date as soon as next year.
Perhaps Volkswagen’s move will inspire other car companies to toss their hat in the electric bike ring.
- The Cargo e-Bike from Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles is a pedelec that adds power assistance to the rider’s pedaling with its 250 watt (48V) mid-mounted motor at speeds up to 25 km/h. The cargo bike can be used without a driver’s license or insurance and can be used practically anywhere. The energy for the electric motor is supplied by a lithium-ion battery (energy capacity: 500 Wh). The bike’s range is up to 100 kilometres/62 miles.
- The three-wheel Volkswagen Commercial Vehicle has an axle with two wheels at the front and the cargo platform positioned low between them. The rear of the pedelec is designed like a normal bicycle. A cargo box with a storage volume of 0.5 m3 can be mounted to the load platform. The cargo bike is 2,060 mm long, 890 mm wide and 1,100 mm tall (height of handlebars). The drive and the rugged architecture of the lightweight 40-kg cargo bike have been designed for a payload of up to 210 kg (including rider).
- The innovative kinematics of the front axle ensure that the goods being transported on the load platform do not tilt with the cargo bike when cornering, rather they remain horizontal and thereby stable. This tilt-leveling technology is an innovation in the segment of cargo bikes.
- The bike’s track width was intentionally limited to less than 900 mm so that it is even possible to ride through door frames. The combination of its track width, a relatively long wheelbase of 1,350 mm and the low centre of gravity of its load platform result in a high degree of safety against overturning. Ride comfort is optimized by wide balloon tires (20-inch at front, 24-inch at rear) from Continental (“Revolution” type). The solutions implemented by Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles combine to create a new generation of electric cargo bikes whose utility and ride properties will set the benchmark in this field.
- The innovative Cargo e-Bike will be produced at the Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles plant in Hannover. A new production area with a floor area of 240 m2was set up for this purpose. SOP – Start of Production – is scheduled for the very near future.
For Your Review
Get the best bicycle news and stories delivered to your inbox.
Delivered weekly and always free.