The Boels Dolmans Cycling Team dominated the Amgen Tour of California Women’s Race empowered with SRAM with World Champion Anna van der Breggen (NED) and teammate Katie Hall (Oakland, Calif.) taking a decisive win and second place finish respectively as the women’s three-day race concluded at the Rose Bowl today.
Now teammates, the two had the same overall result as competitors in 2017 when van der Breggen pulled out the win 1 second ahead of Hall, who went on to win the 2018 race. In addition to her second race championship, van der Breggen will take home the Visit California Sprint Jersey. This is Hall’s third consecutive overall podium finish.
“It feels really good. It was a hard stage race. They had three beautiful stages, and they didn’t make it easy for us the last day….To finish first and second is an amazing result,” said the Boels Dolmans two-time race champion.
The World Champion was challenged for the green jersey today by Valcar Cylance Cycling’s Elisa Balsamo (ITA) who outsprinted a tight field to take the stage win just ahead of Astana Women’s Team’s Arlenis Sierra (CUB), who placed second for the stage, and Hagens Berman | Supermint’s Leigh Ann Ganzar (USA) in third.
Van der Breggen came into the final day +29” ahead of Hall, which held through the final stage, and CCC-Liv’s Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio (RSA) held onto her overall third place podium spot (+1:06”). Astana’s Blanca Liliana Moreno Canchon (COL) picked up the maximum points on today’s climb, for the Lexus Queen of the Mountain Jersey win over Hall.
In the women’s event unfolding for the first time exclusively in Southern California, Stage 7 presented by Amgen wound riders 78.3 miles Santa Clarita to Pasadena with three fast circuits around the Rose Bowl to conclude.
Team Sunweb’s Juliette Labous (FRA) locked up the TAG Best Young Rider competition after taking the lead yesterday.
OVERALL RACE RESULTS:
- Anna van der Breggen (NED), Boels Dolmans Cycling Team (NED) 8h32’34”
- Katie Hall (USA), Boels Dolmans Cycling Team (NED) +0:29”
- Ashleigh Moolman-Pasio (RSA), CCC – Liv (NED) +1:06”
- Clara Koppenburg (GER), WNT ROTOR Pro Cycling Team (GER) +1:25”
- Katarzyna Niewiadoma (POL), CANYON/SRAM Racing (GER) +1:34”
JERSEY WINNERS AT RACE CONCLUSION:
- Amgen Race Leader Jersey – Anna van der Breggen (NED), Boels Dolmans Cycling Team (NED)
- Visit California Sprint Jersey – Anna van der Breggen (NED), Boels Dolmans Cycling Team (NED)
- Lexus Queen of the Mountain (QOM) Jersey – Blanca Liliana Moreno Canchon (COL), Astana Women’s Team (KAZ)
- TAG Heuer Best Young Rider Jersey – Juliette Labous (FRA), Team Sunweb (NED)
- Breakaway from Cancer® Most Courageous Rider Jersey – Kathrin Hammes (GER), WNT ROTOR Pro Cycling Team (GER)
OVERALL TEAM WINNER:
- CANYON//SRAM Racing (GER)
STAGE 3 PODIUM:
- Elisa Balsamo (ITA), Valcar Cylance Cycling (ITA) 3h19’57”
- Arlenis Sierra (CUB), Astana Women’s Team (KAZ) +00”
- Leigh Ann Ganzar (USA), Hagens Berman | Supermint (USA) +00”