The Amgen Tour of California Women’s Race empowered with SRAM began today with the punchy and windy 60-mile course beginning and ending in Ventura.
The wind and challenging hills saw the peloton shatter and reform many times over, including on the final climb to the finish. As the teams were organizing to launch their sprinters to the line, World Champion Annavan der Breggen (NED) of the Boels Dolmans Cycling Team attacked and ran away to a solo victory despite a wicked headwind. Van der Breggen is a returning race champion, having won the event in 2017.
Cogeas Mettler Look Pro Cycling Team’s Olga Zabelinskaya (UZB), the former Russian National Time Trial Champion and three-time Olympic medalist, attacked at Casitas Pass and grew her lead to a minute and a half, but was caught shortly before the finish where attacks then began flying. Valcar Cylance Cycling’sElisa Balsamo (ITA) came in second (+18”), with Astana’s Arlenis Sierra (CUB) in third (+18”) for the day.
Earlier on the stage, presented by Lexus, Hagens Berman | Supermint Pro Cycling’s Lindsay Goldman(Scottsdale, Ariz.) made a solo break that held for nearly an hour, earning her the Breakaway from Heart DiseaseTM Most Courageous Rider Jersey.
“There was a beautiful climb 5k’s from the finish so it was a good moment to go and try to see if I could go solo to the finish line,” said van der Breggen. “It was up to us on that final climb to try something…I’m really happy for the team and for myself to take the stage win and to have a good start on this stage race.”
“It’s [the women’s race] grown every year…the challenges are huge and the field is amazing,” said Amgen Tour of California Race Ambassador Kristin Armstrong, a decorated former pro and three-time Olympic Gold Medalist. “The platform that the Amgen Tour of California provides for women’s racing across the world is very impactful. In fact today, the racers that are here at the race, you’re going to see them one year from now in the Tokyo Olympic Games. The qualification for the Olympics for all federations starts now at the [Amgen] Tour of California. And I’m telling you what, there’s a lot of races within the race happening out there this week…it’s fantastic, and it’s thrilling.”
RESULTS: 2019 Amgen Tour of California Powered with SRAM Stage 1 Women’s Results
THURSDAY, MAY 16
Podium: Stage 1 presented by LEXUS
- Anna van der Breggen (NED), Boels Dolmans Cycling Team (NED), 2h36’17”
- Elisa Balsamo (ITA), Valcar Cylance Cycling (ITA), +0:18”
- Arlenis Sierra (CUB), Astana Women’s Team, +0:18”
Jersey Winners after Stage 1:
- Amgen Race Leader Jersey – Anna van der Breggen (NED), Boels Dolmans Cycling Team (NED)
- Breakaway from Cancer® Most Courageous Rider Jersey – Lindsay Goldman (USA), Hagens Berman / Supermint (USA)
- Lexus Queen of the Mountain (QOM) Jersey – Blanca Liliana Moreno Canchon (COL), Astana Women’s Team (KAZ)
- Visit California Sprint Jersey – Anna van der Breggen (NED), Boels Dolmans Cycling Team (NED)
- TAG Heuer Best Young Rider Jersey – Elisa Balsamo (ITA), Valcar Cylance Cycling (ITA)