Haute Route, the world’s most prestigious multi-day event series for amateur cycling, today announced a strategic partnership with the Gran Fondo National Series (GFNS). The partnership underscores Haute Route’s commitment to amateur cycling in the United States and includes cross-marketing opportunities for Haute Route and GFNS as well as registration benefits for riders who choose to participate in both event series.
GFNS, formerly known as the Grand Fondo National Championship Series (GFNCS), is a U.S. staple in the Gran Fondo format and covers some of the most beautiful and challenging roads in the country. In 2018, the GFNS calendar will expand from eight to eleven events adding popular events such as Fast Freddie’s Challenge (CA), Tour de Big Bear/HC Gran Fondo (CA), and the Vermont Challenge (VT), which will include the legendary Mount Equinox climb to nearly 4,000 feet at an average grade of 12 percent.
“Haute Route is dedicated to offering more cycling opportunities in North America and our partnership with GFNS enables us to support and build relationships with the amateur cycling community at the ground level,” said Haute Route North America Chairman Alain Lambert. “Many Haute Route riders start their athletic development by doing one-day events and we believe GFNS will help inspire those riders to pursue their cycling ambitions and join our multi-day events in some of cycling’s most iconic destinations in the world, including the Alps, the Pyrenees and the Dolomites.”
“The Gran Fondo National Series has grown exponentially since launching in 2012 and we are thrilled to be partnering with Haute Route to reach even more amateur cyclists,” said GFNS Series Director Reuben Kline. “This year our calendar has expanded to include three additional events and new locations so riders from across the country can find something that fits for them.”
Participants in 2018 GFNS events will have the option to credit their entire entry fee toward any 2018 Haute Route three-day or seven-day event worldwide. Likewise, all riders signed up for a 2018 Haute Route event can take advantage of a free entry into one 2018 GFNS event. In an effort to support and encourage youth participation in cycling, GFNS will also offer a “U23 $23 Special” whereby riders under the age of 23 can participate for the price of $23 in any GFNS event.
FULL GFNS CALENDAR 2018
- March 23-24 – Gran Fondo Florida (San Antonio, Florida)
- May 5-6 – Tour of Georgia Gran Fondo (Helen, Georgia)
- June 2 – Fast Freddie Challenge (Sebastopol, CA)
- June 3 – Highlands Gran Fondo (Butler, New Jersey)
- July 22 – Gran Fondo Asheville (Asheville, North Carolina)
- August 5 – Bluewater International Gran Fondo (Sarnia, Ontario)
- August 4 – Tour de Big Bear/HC Gran Fondo (Big Bear Lake, California)
- August 11-12 – Boone Gran Fondo (Boone, North Carolina)
- August 16-19 – Vermont Challenge (Manchester, Vermont; Stratton, Vermont)
- August 26 – Golden Gran Fondo (Golden, Colorado)
- September 23 – Gran Fondo Maryland (Frederick, Maryland)
To register or for more information, go to www.granfondonationalseries.com.
FULL HAUTE ROUTE CALENDAR 2018
- April 20-22 – SAN FRANCISCO
- May 18-20 – ASHEVILLE
- June 8-10 – STELVIO
- June 23-29 – MAVIC ROCKIES
- July 13-15 – ALPE D’HUEZ
- August 3-5 – MASERATI NORWAY
- August 18-24 – PYRENEES
- August 26-September 1 – ALPS
- September 21-23 – DOLOMITES
- September 14-16 – UTAH
- October 5-7 – VENTOUX
To register or for more information, go to www.hauteroute.org.